Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2010

All About The Quest...

Ever heard of “cham”? I’m referring to the drink. If you’re Malaysian, you should know which drink I mean. For the benefit of those not in the know, “cham” is basically a beverage which combines two mighty brews into one. “Cham” is the happy union of the “oomph” (instant rejuvenation!) of coffee and the aaaaah” (blissful sigh...) of tea. Get the sound effects? Good. They are crucial in conveying the feeling that this beverage invokes. The word “Cham” is Cantonese in origin. It also means “mix”, “combine”, “join”,.....you get the idea.

Well, I am on a quest for the perfect cup of “Cham”. Both literally and figuratively. Let me explain. A good cup of “Cham” is darn hard to come by. There are a couple of criteria which you could easily use to ascertain the potential of any cup of “Cham” served to you.
  1. Colour - Too dark and you can probably expect it to taste like coffee. Too light means too much tea. It’s got to be in that warm brown tea-ish with a dash of coffee colour zone for it to even hold a hint of promise
  2. Aroma – Whiff of coffee with a subtle note of tea. Sounds like a perfume ad, huh? In short, it shouldn’t smell too strongly of either brew.
  3. Texture – Thick and smooth, no question about it. This is usually achieved with the right dosage of condensed milk and/or evaporated milk and/or sugar. Too much, and all you get is a milky mess.
Now comes the taste.... I am trying not to get too zen-like here but it is all about blend and balance.....”Cham” is about getting the right mix of strength and portions of coffee, tea, milk and sugar. The brews should complement each other, and yet be individual and distinct. Coupled with the right texture and sweetness, you’re in slurp and sip heaven. So, I’ve just got to say this again - a good cup of “Cham” is double darn hard to come by. In my many years of trials and tribulations at various kopitiams and cafes, I have enjoyed some promising mixes but alas, the results were never consistent. So, the quest continues....


How does this quest for “Cham” also apply to me figuratively? Trudging the usual walk of life would mean going to school, graduating, getting a job, starting a family, growing old... Well, I was about halfway on this walk (in other words, mid-life crisis) and I started to question – is this it? I’ve had some progress in my career. Family ties and friendships are generally in a good state. Health and fitness is not great but I get by (i.e. no heart attack yet). Yet, I was feeling restless and unfulfilled. I had a lot to be grateful for but there I was, mulling about in a layer of discontent. Sigh. Ever had one of those days?

To cut a long story short, I quit my job and took time off to chill out and travel. It’s been 10 months now. The break has been great but I’m still working at shaking off the blues. Should I go back to work and just pick up where I left off? The bank account is screaming “Yes!”. But has anything changed yet? After a bit of soul searching, I’ve decided that like a perfect cup of “Cham”, I want my life to be the right blend and balance of the right “ingredients”. So far, I’ve narrowed down the remedy to three factors. I hope that finding the perfect blend of this trio will let me live a darn good life.
  1. Purpose. This is a huge huge missing piece in my quest but I am determined to find my life’s purpose one day. 
  2. Passion. Even saying the word out loud makes me feel all energized and vibrant already (somehow an image of a matador in a bull ring keeps popping up in my mind as I write this...weird). I love variety in everything – books, music, food, activities, etc. Sadly, this also means I am sorely lacking in passion for anything specific. Passion will be crucial in helping attain purpose.
  3. Pleasure. Remember Zombieland’s rule #32 ? Enjoy the little things...(great movie by the way – go watch it!) While life certainly has its distasteful moments, at the end of the day...I hope to sit back with a grin and say “It’s been an awesome ride!”
To help me focus on my quest, both for the perfect cup of “cham” and the perfect blend for life, I am starting this blog. Though I am totally out of the usual blogger age group and lifestyle demographic (not even on the borderline!), I reckon putting my thoughts to e-paper will put a lot of things in perspective. Will the quest ever end? Don’t know. But I guess the journey should be worth the while.

So, my friend, I hope you will join me on this quest and we can figure out things together. After all, what is a knight without a sidekick?

7 comments:

TQ said...

You made 'Cham' sound so mighty. I feel like using the hammer to get instant relief..... You know what, the next time I go Kopitiam, I will order a 'Cham' instead of White coffee.

lsquarey said...

Aren't we all looking for the perfect cham? You are right, passion is one of the keys and sometimes it is tough to identify it. Keep looking sister!

Rachael Tai said...

Wau! A blog finally. I will definately pout it in my 'to check out list'.

You make drinking 'Cham' real cool and I am not a 'cham' people but will definately do it. When I drink that, I will make sure I 'tiap tiap' slowly - See balance or not ma!

BTW, I found this book pretty inspiring - 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. Worth to check it out if you have time.


From Book:

Enlightenment - what is that?

A beggar had been sitting by the side of a road for over thirty years. One day a stranger walked by. "Spare some change?" mumbled the beggar, mechanically holding out his old baseball cap. "I have nothing to give you," said the stranger. Then he asked: "What's that you are sitting on?" "Nothing," replied the beggar. "Just an old box. I have been sitting on it for as long as I can remember." "Ever looked inside?" asked the stranger. "No," said the beggar. "What's the point? There's nothing in there." "Have a look inside," insisted the stranger. The beggar managed to pry open the lid. With astonishment, disbelief, and elation, he saw that the box was filled with gold.

I am that stranger who has nothing to give you and who is telling you to look inside. Not inside any box, as in the parable, but somewhere even closer: inside yourself.

Unknown said...

I know how you feel. (Yeah, so cliche.) Learn to go with the flow and accept some things happen for a reason. In my instance:

1. Friend bailed out last minute on travel plan to Bangkok. After a good cry I went to the Butterworth bus terminal and tried to get a bus ticket. (I wasn't going to waste my leave.) In the end I got a train ticket (bueses only went as far as Haadyai). Not only did I survive Bangkok, I also went to Chiang Mai. From then on there was no looking back. I could travel any time I want to and where I want to go to because I do not fear travelling solo or have to depend on others.

2. Dropped out of uni. It was tough because I was the first one on my Dad's side to enter uni (plus all the brickbats I got from unimates for wasting a Chinese placing - it was a local U) but if I had not, I would have ended like one of the drones who only went to uni for gaji empat angka. I like what I do now (most of the time) and wouldn't have gotten here if I had followed the more conventional route.

3. Was sneakily booted out by first agency I joined in Penang (under the guise of recession). Blessing in disguise. If I had not, I wouldn't have come to KL and would still be there writing recruitment ads and editing factory newsletters. Plus, I would have sunk with the company when it eventually did.

4. Was quite unhappy at work. That finally pushed me to try a slightly different field. (I thought I was too old to make such a change.) I'm so much happier now and love this so much more.

Moral of these stories. Go with the flow. Grab any opportunities that come your way (especially if you were not looking for them in the first place). Value each encounter with people that come into your life, whether they are nasty or nice. Each has some wisdom they can impart or some experiences you can learn from.

TQ said...

I hope you don't mind if I invite my nieces to visit your blog. I hope they can learn from the 'older' generation and start to find passion in their live early. If I could relive my live again, there is what I want to do starting from the time I'm born. Like the old saying, never too late to start and it will be my 2010 New Year resolution.

Questing Knight said...

Hi all,
Thanks for dropping by - nice to know that I managed to get you to try cham next time! But beware! 9 times out of 10, you get really substandard fare. The key here is Preservation! Applies for life too huh?

TQ, of course,don't mind having your nieces reading this. Just hope they won't be too bored!

Gerbie said...

Hey Questing Knight - where is Robin?