Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

The Next JK Rowling???

I suck at contests. I just can't seem to win anything, not even measly consolation prizes like coupons. All those mind-numbing nights I slaved over the Star Crossword Puzzle contest, dreaming of winning big bucks and brand new cars....All those painful hours I pored over articles for answers to questions in the Star Power of 9 contest.... All those brain-draining decisions I had to make to select the right photos for the MAS Let's Go Now contest....My blood relations have laughed at my futile efforts before. Mum even said that I was not destined to have any "wang choy" - the kind of luck where riches literally just fall into your lap. Instead, I would have to slog hard for my money. It really does takes a strong woman to soldier on in the contest arena....

So, you can imagine my shock and disbelief when I received a sms from my sister proclaiming that we had actually WON a children's picture book contest!! My sister, who was even more pessimistic than me on our chances, told me to check my email and see if it was a hoax. But it wasn't!! The publisher's website, OneRedFlower Press, carried the same announcement as the email! http://1redflower.wordpress.com/

It was a long bout of "Ka..Ka..Ka.." and "Oh My Gods" between my sister and I. She asked me if she was in the Matrix and whether Morpheus would soon turn up with the red and blue pills, while I was couldn’t help thinking of the dreamworld in Inception. What if Leonardo was just messing with my head??? I think part of the shock was due to how innocently the whole thing started, how the idea for the story came about and how we ended up submitting the entries. Never in a million years did we expect to win! Life certainly works in mysterious ways....

I am now really excited and looking forward to what's going to happen next. Our winning story is to be published and we are now initiating discussions with the publisher. I am already being propositioned by wannabe agents who think we’re going to be as big as JK Rowlings. Personally, I am happy if the book even gets made!  Getting published will be one of the best prizes ever – of course, if it turned out to be the only contest I ever win in this lifetime, then it becomes THE best prize ever. An important lesson I’ve learnt from this is to always give things a try - you really never know what can happen!  Onwards to the next contest!!

No comments: