Pages

Friday, February 18, 2011

My New Thingamajig....

This is my new thingamajig. 

If you can overlook its slightly obscene shape which brings to mind a certain part of the male anatomy, it really is a nifty little gadget.  Technically, it is called an FM modulator.  I got introduced to its existence one fine day while getting a ride in a colleague's car.  Noticing this curious looking object sticking out of the dashboard, I naturally asked the owner what it was for.  Whaddya know?  The FM modulator can bascially play MP3 files off your thumb drive or SD card via the car radio when you tune it to one of the available radio frequecies!  To say that I was gob-smacked that such technology existed does not adequately express how amazed and excited I was.  OK, OK.  I admit.  I work in the IT line but I am not exactly the most tech savvy person around.  My phone is a Nokia antique from 10 years ago (that's another story), I still have a cassette player in my room and there is nary an X-box or PS3 in sight in my house.

Anyway, let me put into perspective why I was so excited.  I drive a Proton Saga that rolled out of the assembly line more than 15 years ago and it does not exactly come equipped with fancy accessories.  Though I love the Proton (again, another story here), I had to live with a crackly radio, spoilt cassette deck and no CD or MP3 player for quite a while.  So, the discovery of the FM modulator opened a whole new world of music for me when I drive.  Not too long after that Eureka moment, I got my gagdet at the Jusco store.  Please also let me state clearly here that in my defence, I didn't notice the obscenity while it was in its packaging.

Though it didn't come with any instructions, it was simple enough to set up.  All I had to do was plug in the SD card containing my music files into the slot. 

Then, I started up the car, pulled out that cigarette ligher thingy from the plug where you can charge your handphones, and plugged in the modulator.  Next was to select a radio channel, check the frequency, and tune the modulator to the same frequency.  My car was soon filled with my favourite sounds from Aerosmith, Matchbox Twenty and Annie Lennox.  Heaven!



Now, my fine friends who have been relentlessly telling me to ditch my car, since the Proton is now further upgraded with this latest add-on, why in the world would I ever need to buy a new car???!

No comments: