Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

My Old Thingamajigs....

After my post on my new FM modulator, I received a lot of flak from friends about how archaic I was.  Even my "aunty" friend, WL, claimed that she bought this device many moons ago for her daugther.  She concluded that I was even more of an "aunty" than her since I only discovered this gadget recently. Wow, that stung.  And with Information Technology being my rice bowl, this called for drastic measures.  So, I decided I needed to do a proper review of my stuff to see whether it really is time to ditch some.

1. My cassette player

This is a no brainer.  The technology may be irrelevant but I have too many good cassettes invested to throw this away.... I mean, come on....can I throw away my Def Leppard, my Pretty Woman soundtrack and my Jackie Cheung??  That's my whole secondary school, college and university-related nostalgia right there.  Verdict : KEEPER!

2. My TV

Technically, this TV is not mine but my Mum's.  Though it's heavy and not very "sexy", at least the people on screen don't look like they've been squished and stretched out like how they appear on plasmas and LCDs.  And since Mum is not a fan of watching squished Korean actors in her favourite serials, this is another no-brainer.  Verdict : KEEPER!

3. My phone

My wonderful Nokia has served me well in it's ten years of service.  It has survived numerous crashes where its body parts have ended up in pieces across the floor.  And yet, all I had to do was plug it all back together and it still worked like a charm (let's see you to do that with your "smart" phones....) It keeps me connected, and yet protects me from the horrible fate of being online all the time, being expected to attend to email, video calls and to work endlessly on Microsoft Office meeting crazier and crazier deadlines.  Sure, there are inconveniences.  Like when I travel, I don't have the internet and all its information at my fingertips.  And I can't play music.  But hey, that's all part of the travel experience anyway - getting away from it all.  I guess you can tell where this is heading.  Verdict : KEEPER!

4. My car

They don't make them like this anymore.  Seriously.  The Proton is nearly 20 years old and still going strong.  Of course, there were times when I really did think I may have to dump a fortune on a new car.  Like that time when the radiator kept heating up and had to be replaced.  Or the time when the air conditioning bombed out and had me sweating buckets (which was pretty embarassing when I had to turn up at meetings looking like I just ran a marathon).  Or the time when the rust holes went straight through the roof and I had to contemplate sticking an umbrella through it everytime it rained.  But in the end, a little maintenance, a still affordable amount of money, and one accident (which resulted in me having very new-looking passenger side doors and no rust holes!) is all it took to get it back up fit and fighting.  The only grouse is that I can't drive it out of town for fear the engine will finally run its course.  So,.... verdict ?  KEEPER!  (at least till I strike my Big Sweep millions!)

Now, before anyone gets the idea that all I have are OLD things....I do have a nifty little digital Panasonic Lumix camera, AND a pretty decent laptop AND of course, my state of the art Kenwood mixer.  AND I'm even thinking of investing in a digital scale for my baking and cooking.  So, not THAT aunty after all right??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just bought a digital scale on offer from Isetan. Useful for food costings for our venture. Now I can figure out what one garlic clove weighs so I can calculate it against the kg price.

I still have a mini compo. Two actually. And a tape recorder. And a big TV that weighs a tonne.